It’s back for 2022 – our Ultimate Fargo Summer Bucket List! We’ve got over 50 of our favorite ideas of things to do in Fargo for every budget, interest, and age. (Please note to check each event/business website for the most up to date information.)
Thank you to Essentia Health for partnering with us and making this Bucket List possible for Fargo families!
For more events sponsored by Essentia Health, check out these upcoming things to do!
Essentia Health Go Far Woman August 12 & 13
Need to schedule an appointment to make sure everyone is summer ready? Call 701-364-8900 to schedule your appointments at Essentia today! For more information, make sure to visit EssentiaHealth.org, or visit them on Facebook and Instagram.
Join us as we explore all the fun in and around Fargo this summer, and enjoy the customizable FREE printable below to hang on the fridge!
50+ Fargo Summer Bucket List Activities
- Check out a local zoo. The Red River Zoo is right here in Fargo, or you can take a day trip to the Chahinkapa Zoo in Wahpeton (45 minutes south) or the Trowbridge Creek Zoo in Vergas, MN (1 hour east).
- Check out a local outdoor movie event! Fargo Parks offers movie nights, Broadway Square shows movies on Thursdays throughout the summer, and The Lights & POW/MIA Plaza in West Fargo have movie nights as well!
- Head to the Sonic drive-in. Get a meal while you are there or try one of their famous slushes.
- Visit a local brewery and enjoy the sunshine! Most are kid-friendly – find out more in our Guide to Breweries in Fargo-Moorhead!
- Get some walk-up ice cream from the iconic Moorhead Dairy Queen! If you are looking for more frozen treat options, check out our Guide to Ice Cream & Frozen Treats.
- Go on a family hike. There are plenty of nearby hiking spots within 1-2 hours of Fargo, so you’ll be sure to find your favorite!
- Visit the Northern Plains Botanical Society and Butterly Gardens in North Fargo. The kiddos will love exploring!
- Go on a fishing adventure. There are plenty of fishing spots in the Fargo for the whole family to enjoy!
- Check out the waterfalls at Rendevous Park. Make sure to bring sand toys and a volleyball for their sand pit!
- Play frisbee/disc golf. There are multiple disc golf courses in Fargo, one at Rendevous Park in West Fargo, and two in Moorhead (Woodlawn Park and Riverfront Park).
- Make popsicles. There are plenty of recipes online if you do a quick search, and you can find multiple options for the molds on Amazon.
- Have a water balloon fight!
- Host a movie night at home and watch your favorite childhood movie with your kids.
- Make tie-dye shirts.
- Make homemade slime.
- Do a science experiment.
- Fly a kite.
- Check out the races at Red River Valley Speedway!
- Host a lemonade stand and donate the proceeds to a local non-profit.
- Go on a mural scavenger hunt using this map. Don’t forget to snap some photos!
- Paint rocks with uplifting messages and leave them at the park.
- Make an outdoor “book nook.” Get an inflatable pool, blankets, pillows, and some books and spend a few hours reading outside!
- Go on a scavenger hunt for all the painted Bison around town – there are nearly 20 to find!
- Find a local swimming beach within a few hours of Fargo. We’ve got a list in our Guide to Swimming Beaches!
- Make a kid-friendly cheese board for dinner and enjoy it outside as a family picnic.
- Get some take-out and head to the park.
- Swim in one of the many outdoor pools or splash pads around the area.
- Visit Shady Hallow Flea Market in Detroit Lakes and find your next treasure!
- Pick up a free lunch for the kiddos. There are many organizations around Fargo offering free lunches to kids this summer.
- Go on a thrift store shopping trip together. Make it fun by looking for unique items, books, or other treasures!
- Try a new coffee shop and a new summer drink. We’ve got a Guide to Local Coffee Shops to get you started.
- Visit a food truck. Visit Fargo-Moorhead has a great list of local food trucks, so you’ll be sure to find one you love!
- Draw a chalk mural on your driveway using painters tape and chalk.
- Visit the Red River Market in downtown Fargo. Or find another Farmer’s Market near you with our Guide here!
- Pick a random act of kindness to do for a neighbor or friend.
- Have a family dinner from of the fabulous outdoor patios around Fargo-Moorhead.
- Go berry picking! Berry season is end of June-July, and our Guide to Berry-Picking will help you find the right spot to visit (but call head, the season is short).
- Visit the Little Red Reading Bus or participate in another summer reading program from our local libraries!
- Attend an outdoor concert – you can find a list of venues and concerts here!
- Visit the Red River Valley Fair in July.
- Plan a camping trip using this helpful post.
- Visit a local museum – we’ve got a great list to find one that peaks your interest!
- Find a new local indoor play space on a rainy day.
- Make S’mores as a family over the fire or even use the microwave.
- Attend a Redhawks Baseball Game.
- Have a bonfire and play this fun family game to get to know each other better.
- Make DIY crayons using all the leftover, broken crayons from around the house.
- Stay at a fun local hotel for the weekend and have a staycation!
- Beat the heat or the rain with an open swim in the area.
- Grab a weekend brunch at a new spot.
- Get your sweet tooth fix at Sweet Dreams Confections – your kids will be amazed!
- Find a day trip to take – find a fun list of options here!
- Volunteer at a local animal shelter.
- Create a fun sensory bin for the littles to enjoy!
- Go on a treasure hunt by Geocaching.