Summer time calls for cool treats, but I’m always looking for ways I can make treats I feel good about serving to my kids. A visit from the neighborhood ice cream truck is fun once in a while, but since I found this easy DIY Milkshake recipe from Organic Valley it’s been a regular in our house!
Happy Cows Make Better Milk
Any great milkshake needs to start with great milk, which is why we love using Organic Valley milk. We opt for whole milk (since it makes it creamier!) but they have options for 2% and even offer grassmilk and lactose-free.
Why do I choose Organic Valley milk? The proof is in how they care for their cows!
4 Reasons I Choose Organic Valley Milk
- Cows spend more time outside. Organic Valley cows actually spend 50% more time outside on pasture than the USDA organic standards require. You know how our kids are happier when they get outside? Cows are, too!
- Cows get a nutrient-rich diet full of diverse plants and grasses. Organic Valley Cows get lots of lush grass in their diet, which in turn creates happier cows and better quality milk.
- Cows get plenty of time to play. Organic Valley farmers really strive to create space for their cows to freely graze, roam, and play in the pasture. And we know how much play means to growing bodies!
- Cows are part of smaller herds and get plenty of TLC. Since Organic Valley is a cooperative made up of small family farms, their farmers care for their cows like family. Many of them name their cows, calling them by their name and talking to them as they play and roam.
Thanks to happy cows, our family is happier thanks to better quality milk!
Organic Valley Difference
What makes Organic Valley different than other dairy companies? Not only are they a cooperative of organic farmers (many of which have families just like us!), they truly care about doing what’s right for local communities, the animals they care for, and the earth. It’s wonderful to see how committed they are to bringing ethically-made organic food to families everywhere.
For over 30 years Organic Valley has strived to provide healthy, nourishing food to people while also providing economic stability to their family farmers and the rural communities they live in. No pesticides, more TLC, and a commitment to caring for our environment – these are all things that matter to me when it comes to the products I feed my family.
Support Local Farmers
If you are like me, you like to know where your food comes from. And it’s wonderful to be able to see the local farmers near us that are providing the nutritious milk for your family. By drinking Organic Valley milk, we are supporting farmers in our nearby communities. And that’s something I can feel good about as I share with my kids where our milk comes from.
Note: This recipe was developed by Nicki Sizemore and originally appeared on OrganicValley.com.
No-Ice-Cream-Needed Strawberry Milkshake
- 1 Cup Organic Valley Whole Milk
- 2 Heaping Cups Strawberries
- 1/4 Cup Organic Valley Whipping Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Strawberry Jam
- 2 scoops Whey Protein (optional to add thickness)
- Whipped cream (optional - or use the whipping cream above to make your own!)
- Serve the milkshake on its own or garnish with whipped cream! Makes two 8-oz. servings
Prefer vanilla or chocolate? Try other DIY milkshake recipes and more from Organic Valley!
Where to Find Organic Valley Milk in Fargo
Wondering where to find Organic Valley products? Use this easy search tool to find the stores near you that sell the products you are looking for. Some of our other favorites are their half-and-half (helloooo morning coffee), eggs, string cheese, cream cheese, and butter! You can find all their products on their website.